Spangler lying down

Here are some of the stories you have chosen to share with us.

‘Spanger’s story was featured in Dogs Today Magazine and written by Catherine O’Driscoll’

(Gaytonwood Frankie)

MEET SPANGLER, a bouncy, energetic, fun-filled and loving three-year-old Golden Retriever. “He’s just absolutely beautiful,” says Spangler’s proud owner, Maria Cooper. “He’s so full of life. He just loves people, and I just love him. All the family loves him. He’s so gentle with my little grandson, who is only a year old. Mind you, he also - very carefully - steals the socks off the little chap’s feet!

“On the other hand, he can be boisterous. Martin and I have four children - three daughters and a son - between us. The interesting thing about Spangler is that he wants to play rough with Martin and our son, but when he’s with the girls, he likes to sit and be stroked. It’s as though he knows.”

Spangler is also a proud dog. He seems to know that he’s gorgeous and very, very loved. “I don’t see him as a dog,” says Maria. “To me, he’s a person. He’s no less than any person I know.”

At the age of six months, Spangler was diagnosed with hip dysplasia and entered weekly sessions of hydrotherapy. “Spangler has been so unlucky with his health,” says Maria. “He had to have an operation on his knee, and the op failed twice. He was referred to a specialist surgeon in the end, and that did the trick. The surgeon described Spangler as ‘a resilient, happy character who gives unconditional love wherever he goes’.”

Spangler is Maria and Martin’s constant companion. “He goes everywhere with us,” says Maria. “If we go on holiday, Spangler comes, too - he was in France not so long ago, although I have to admit we decided not to put him through a long flight to Canada recently.”

Considering that Maria was allergic to dogs when she was younger, Spangler was very much the miracle puppy. “When Martin and I got together and we visited Martin’s brother who has a Golden Retriever, I realised that my dog allergy was a thing of the past,” says Maria. “My dream was fulfilled when we brought this lovely, cuddly puppy home with us.

“Every morning Martin gets up before me, and Spangler follows him around. Then he’ll wait by the side of the bed until I wake up. I go into the bathroom and he’ll wait outside for me. On a couple of occasions, Martin has got into the bath, and Spangler has jumped in with him! He fills the house with fun and laughter. He’s just full of life and happiness.”

Hopelessly devoted

So devoted is Maria to her special boy, that she took to sleeping downstairs while Spangler recovered from his knee operation. “He was in a frame for eight weeks,” says Maria. “He went through so much, but I’m in awe of the fact that his personality never changed. He was gentle all the time; the pain and restriction never got the better of him.”

When an animal is ill or suffering, and a human takes care of him, a special bond develops - a tenderness. And so it was with Spangler. When he died, Maria and Martin were plunged into a grief so deep that Maria believes she will never recover from it. “I feel like I let him down so badly,” says Maria. “If only I had known.”

Health concerns

On Saturday 18 March, three-yearold Spangler was taken for a free health-check and booster. By Sunday, Spangler was extremely lethargic and refused to eat or drink. Maria called the vet on the Sunday evening, who advised that as long as Spangler wasn’t vomiting, he would be okay, and he should be taken back the next morning.

Spangler was panting rapidly through Sunday night and the couple tried to make him as comfortable as possible. He was given a thorough examination on Monday morning and the vet administered an antibiotic and a drug to bring down his high temperature. At home, Maria tried to spoon-feed water into him, as he appeared to be dehydrating.

On Tuesday, still panting and refusing food, Spangler was returned to the vet where another antibiotic was given, plus another drug to bring his temperature down. On Wednesday there was no improvement, and blood was found on his bed. Maria began to look on the internet to see if there might be any information about similar reactions to vaccines.

“I found that reactions like these are more common than are made public,” says Maria. She telephoned the vaccine manufacturer, and later took Spangler back to the vet. He was given another injection and seemed a little better. “We hand-fed him small pieces of liver and chicken and he stopped panting,” says Maria.

Although Spangler wasn’t panting by Thursday, he certainly wasn’t improving. “He was lying down all the time and he’d stopped eating again,” says Maria. “We took him back to the vet, who told us that his temperature was coming down slowly, so it was nothing to worry about since it could have been worse. Blood tests were taken again, showing that Spangler hadn’t been incubating any virus before the vaccine - so this pointed to it being the vaccine.”

Worst fears

Spangler was taken back to the vet again on the Friday, as he was still not eating. He had another two injections. “The vet phoned on the Friday afternoon to say that the vaccine manufacturer had instructed the vet to invoice them with all the costs, as they didn’t want to speak to us directly,” says Maria.

By Friday afternoon, Spangler was eating again, and he was drinking water from his bowl, but then he started panting again. “I knew he couldn’t be too hot,” says Maria, “as the vet had said his temperature was almost normal and we had the windows open and I was blowing him with cold air from the hairdryer, which he usually loved. We tried to sleep after midnight, but Spangler was still panting. When I turned the bedroom light on, to our horror, his chest had a gash around three or four inches long and was weeping. He had his back pressed hard against his bed and he seemed to be in agony. I phoned the vet and he told me to bring Spangler to the surgery.”

Maria and Martin were told that Spangler would need an operation in the morning. Spangler went home with the couple, as no staff would be on duty overnight. “Spangler was deteriorating rapidly,” says Maria, “and it appeared to be the same as all the incidents I had read about on the internet. At this stage I knew in my heart that we weren’t going to save Spangler.”

Spangler was returned to the vet on Saturday morning for his operation. The vet later telephoned to say that blood tests revealed that Spangler’s thyroid was suppressed, his liver was damaged, and his bloodwork revealed anomalies. “The vet told us that Spangler’s skin was dying and couldn’t be stitched back. He said it was creeping nephritis. He would have to undergo months of skin grafts and he might have his front leg amputated - and that was the good news. This would only be possible if, after being examined by experts in another 24 hours, his blood and immune system could cope.

“We had no alternative but to do the hardest thing I’ve ever had to do in my life, and that was to put our friend to sleep.”

It doesn’t matter until it’s personal

At Canine Health Concern, we usually receive three or four emails a week from people whose dogs have suffered as a result of vaccination. I am sure it happens far more often - as these three or four only represent the people who have found us.

Much to my own heartbreak, most dog owners are either oblivious to the many diverse illnesses that can be caused by vaccines, or they turn away when someone like me starts speaking about them. It is generally only when it becomes personal - when your dog suffers and dies - that you start to take notice.

The vaccine manufacturer in question has conducted tests to ascertain why this particular vaccine went wrong for Spangler. According to the manufacturer, their own tests show that the batch conforms to specification.

Avoidable suffering

A bacterin called pseudomona agruginosa was found in tissue samples belonging to Spangler. Some of Spangler’s dead and dying skin was sent by his vet to an independent laboratory, which could neither confirm nor deny that the cellulitis (inflammation of the soft tissues of the body) was a result of bacteria entering Spangler’s body at the time of vaccination. Maria’s vet told her that he had only heard of this bacterin in cattle, in chicken farms, and in contaminated water. Maria says that Spangler couldn’t possibly have met any of these naturally, since it had been only a week since he was allowed to exercise following his knee operation.

There are three possible explanations. One is that Spangler somehow had the bacterin on his skin and it was pushed inwards by the needle. Another is that it came from the needle. And a third (which is the most likely) is that it came from the vaccine. Ultimately, I believe - if anything is to be blamed - annual vaccination is at fault, because Spangler didn’t need any vaccine after his puppy shots.

Spangler didn’t need to risk having his skin penetrated, and bacterins introduced into his system - however they got there. Studies have  shown that vaccines give immunity for at least seven years by direct challenge, and for life according to blood tests.

The latest guidelines issued by the American Animal Hospital Association are misleading: they suggest we revaccinate every three years. Even this can be a literal overkill. According to the world’s leading veterinary virologist - Dr Ronald D Schultz who advises the AAHA - once an animal is immune to a virus, he is immune for years or life. Further, if you vaccinate a dog who is already immune, existing immunity will merely fight the vaccine, and no additional protection is provided. If Spangler had only been vaccinated once every three years, this vaccine event could still have killed him. Why are we consenting to a medical procedure that has the potential of causing harm, when it’s not even necessary?

Be informed

Maria’s vet has told her that their practice intends to change its vaccine protocol. They are now to offer an annual titre (blood) test option in place of vaccination. When she spoke to the veterinary manufacturer (which has offered to pay the bills), the spokesperson said he had lost sleep over Spangler’s death.

If you have read this article and taken Spangler’s story on board, then you will be giving Spangler’s life and tragic death meaning. If you need more information about canine vaccination, then please visit CHC’s website - or read our latest book (Shock to the System), or attend one of our Foundation in Canine Healthcare courses.

Please do not find yourself in the situation Maria has found herself in. “I feel like I let him down so badly,” says Maria. “If only I had known. I don’t think I will ever get over this. It’s like a nightmare, but I can’t wake up. I feel so empty inside, and, as much as I love the people around me, I can’t connect with them.”

Nothing matters until it’s personal. Please don’t allow overvaccination to become one of your own personal tragedies. Be informed; please make knowledgeable choices on behalf of your canine friends.

Mungo’s story

I wish I had read your article prior to allowing my 2 year old Rhodesian Ridgeback, Mungo, to have his annual booster.  He is an important member of our family, and a beautiful boisterous boy.

My dear puppy is now at Bristol university small animal hospital fighting for his life after his booster.

He was a fun loving boisterous beautiful animal, who loved to run around with our 3 children aged 11, 7 & 5. He chose us when he was 6 weeks old to be his family, out of a litter of pups we viewed in Wales. We were only going to look, but had to have him when we saw him.
He came home at 8 weeks, and ate his way round our house, 2 leather sofas, wooden cottage doors, countless children’s toys, but it didn't matter, just one look from those beautiful puppy eyes could be forgiven every time. He is our puppy and that’s what you get with a bundle of fun with as much life as Mungo had in him.  He loves to jump, he certainly believes that all who come to our house need a quick kiss on the cheek no matter how tall you are!! He is known to jump at our 8 foot gate to say hello to passing dogs - yes he does have kangaroo springs!
We always gave Mungo the best, from food to puppy training; nothing is or was too good for our pup.  Two weeks after his annual boosters had lapsed, we thought we had better get it done; I did not want him to get parvo virus or anything bad so we took him to have this done.  A quick health assessment, and jab later, we were done for another year.  The vet asked ‘How’s his health’ and I replied ‘very good’ the vet said ‘he's a very lively chap’.
That evening Mungo was sick. Ok perhaps he is just out of sorts because he has had a jab, much like my children. No one said anything about being sick.  The next day he does not jump up to say good morning, merely wags his tail to acknowledge that we are all rushing around in our early morning routine. Perhaps he is just a bit out of sorts with the injection?  Then gradually he stopped eating his food, and slid slowly from bad to worse, eventually he could not sit, could not walk too far, shook, cried with pain and his paws began to swell.  We took him to the vets.
They do not know what to treat him for and thought it might be the vaccine, but then said it was highly unlikely. So he is put on a drip, and given some antibiotics.  Next day he is well enough to come home. Bliss, we are so happy to get him home.  He lays on the sofa, and does not move all night.  He does not jump up in the morning to say hello. My husband takes him back to the vets just for a routine cautionary check that morning. He comes home having had an opium based pain killer.  I arrive home from taking the kids swimming and he is hyper ventilating, I thought he was dying. I ring the vets and rush him back in where he has been all weekend.
I have the manufacturers number, I ring them, they "understand my upset" so I shout at them. Having now completed some research why are these people instructing vets to administer these annual boosters, why was I not offered a titre test to check his immunity levels, why can this idiot not answer my questions and is now acting as the "public relations" face of the vaccine manufacturer.  He thinks it best under the circumstances to deal directly with my vet. I threaten solicitors and will carry out that threat.
My dog is then moved to Bristol University, small animal hospital, his face is swelling, and they fear his liver is shutting down.   The prognosis is not good. His liver is checked and is fine, but his clotting is not working and he may need plasma to stabilise his membranes and cells where they are leaking.  He may not survive -there is a high possibility that he will not survive.
I am not sure whether I want to cry or scream.  What can I tell my 3 children, they are going to be devastated. I am devastated. My husband is devastated as are our relatives.
I want to get a message out to so many people, every animal owner who has annual boosters, and I will.
I did not have any chance to make an informed choice, I was not informed. I want every pet owner to have that choice before they make their decision, I don’t care that it is 1 in 10,000 cases where this occurs, that one is heart wrenching and he is mine.
Any advice, guidance or suggestions would be really appreciated right now, so please let me know if you can help me in any way at all.
Many thanks

Update on Mungo 28/7/2008

Mungo is so much better, not quite 100% but a lot better.
We took him camping this weekend, and although it was hard to keep him settled and quiet he had a nice rest and play with the other dogs and children which was so lovely to see. Such a change from last week.  He is now on a course of tablets for the next month, and provided he continues to respond to these then he will be fine.                                                         


23/9/2008 further update on Mungo

Mungo is gaining weight, which is good news! He will be on the tentril for at least another month & 5 days. And the other tablet has been cut down to a 1/2 for the next 5 days. 

The manufacturers have cleared the bill at my local vets, we are awaiting the final estimates from Bristol because of the further medication he will need, then they are going to clear that one too... so good news.         

So for now, we are breathing a sigh of relief, and hoping he continues to do as well as he has. 




Jason's story

I read your site with a lot of interest. 




Back in 1980 I had my dog vaccinated as normal, it was in the days of the separate parvo & distemper injections.

When I presented him to the vet he seemed fine in himself but the vet advised that as Jason had a slight temperature he would give him the light injection first and I would need to take him back for the second injection. 

I was not too happy as I felt he would have been better postponing the vaccinations as Jason had a temperature.


I took Jason home but that night he started fitting. When he came around it was as if his pelvic girdle had slipped round to the left a bit as both hind legs swung to the right as he tried to trot.  I took Jason back to my vet the next morning and he diagnosed that Jason had developed an arthritic drag and put it down to his age.  He had just turned 8 years old and up until that time he moved like a youngster.

The fits became quite frequent and his hindquarters got worse.  I took him to John Houlton at Cambridge Veterinary College where he was diagnosed as having CDRM.  Jason had an ECG and EEG and it was found that he had a slight heartblock causing cerebral anemia.  Both which I feel was caused by the vaccination as the symptoms of both came on literally within about 8 hours of having the vaccination.

After about 8 months Jason went into a critical phase of going straight from one fit into another, and I had found a herbalist vet, John Rohrbach, who working with my own vet managed to break the cycle. 

Two years after being diagnosed with CDRM I had to make the  heartbreaking decision to have Jason put to sleep. He never completely went off his back legs but it started affecting his left foreleg as well.

Marilyn Roberts




Kim’s story

I have had Kim for 2 years since she was nine months old and I took her for her first booster jabs in February 2006.  For a few days afterwards she was a little off colour and quiet.

Kim relaxing


However, this February, it was horrendous.  A few hours after the jab, she curled up on the sofa and wouldn’t move.  When we tried to persuade her to go outside she got up very shakily but couldn’t get down off the sofa and I had to carry her outside.  Her head was shaking from side to side and she was very unsteady on her paws.  The only way I can describe it is that she looked like a 16 year old dog full of arthritis and was obviously in extreme pain.  This lasted for 48 hours.


She also had severe allergic reactions to conventional flea treatments too.  With this she began to struggle with breathing and her stomach seemed to contract – you could actually see it and then it went rock hard and she had to be rushed to the vet for injections and tablets.  This even happened with a herbal flea collar.

Unfortunately one of the vets in the practice dismissed this and said that Kim was being ‘a wimp’ and that her own dogs reacted like this and she ignored it.

I insisted on seeing another vet who told me that I was not to give her any conventional flea treatments or herbal flea collars in the future as she was allergic. 

However, even he was sceptical when I told him about Kim’s struggle with booster jabs and the reaction she had the second time.  His philosophy was that she had to have the boosters each year for her own health (vaccine manufacturers advise every 3 years so why do vets recommend every year)? He also advised me to continue with annual boosters as the insurance company would not pay out if they found out she hadn’t had these (they would only refuse to pay out for any disease a booster would have protected against).  I just wish I’d videoed her and the way she was, perhaps then he’d have believed me. 

I am at my wit’s end.  I do not want her to have her boosters next February – this year was awful – what would happen next year as the reaction seems to be getting worse each year?

I had printed off Spanglers’ story and was determined to get to the bottom of it all.  The vet did admit that Kim could be allergic to boosters and flea treatments, but gave me a lecture on ‘the evils of not having her boosters’ and then told me to look on the internet for advice as well if I wanted.  That was when I produced Spanglers story.  The reaction ‘oh yeah, you can get allsorts on the internet these days, be careful what you read’.  Excuse me??  As I pointed out, she had just that second told me to go on the internet!!  She did look shamefaced at that and then I mentioned the titre test (which I’d read about on your website).  The look on her face was one of ‘oh flipping ‘eck – how do you know about this’.

 Anyway, the upshot of it is that Kim is due for her third set of boosters next February – she is NOT having them but will have a titre test instead.  Even if the test shows she is low on antibodies, I do not think I will let her have the boosters, in fact I’m sure of it.

I don’t want her to go through what she went through this February – in fact I am convinced it would be so much worse and even fatal and there is no way that’s going to happen to her.  I have learned that dogs can have a titre test to check whether or not a booster is necessary and this is what I will do when Kim's next booster is due.


PS: I would not have known about titre tests, reactions to boosters or anything like this if I hadn’t stumbled across dear Spanglers website.

His owner has offered me invaluable support and advice over the last few months and I cannot thank her enough.




Dexter’s story

Dexter looking very handsome before his booster

Dexter had his puppy jabs at 8 & 12 wks and developed allergies by 8mths, then demodectic mange at 14mths, so we did not give booster that year.

He had his booster aged 2 1/2 yrs and he developed crusting off the nose (looked like Lupus) the vet gave a steroid jab.  All seemed to heal. 

Through the year Dexter began to suffer from temperament problems & aggression (he had qualified as a PAT Dog before his booster, so was ok then).  He developed hot spots, flea allergies, restlessness, problems with his ears (judges had previously commented that he had the pinkest ears they had ever seen).


Dexter below, after his tragic reaction to the booster

When his next booster was due the vet checked to see there was no crusting to nose.  He also prescribed an ear cleaner, which I used. Dexter began shaking his head over the next few days and scratching his ears, then just yelping for no reason.  He began to go bald around the muzzle and red pustules developed, the skin in his ears looked like tissue paper & peeled off in layers.  His forehead went bald and around his eyes, with the skin turning like tissue, he looked like a ghost and I was afriad to walk him, he looked neglected.  He couldn't stand us touching him, just moved away, constantly hot and bothered.

The vet tried anti-biotics but he got worse. Then against my wishes he was put on an immunosuppressant dose of steroids.  A week later he was weeing constantly, pacing and restless, his stools were black so he had to have a special paste syringed in his mouth. And after another sleepless night we woke to find he was worse, I tried to feed him so he could get his drugs inside him, but for the first time in years he would not eat.  He went to sit in the hall and I kept checking him.  I noticed he was panting more, breath laboured and tummy distending, filling with gas - danger signs I knew so we took him to the vets.  

When we arrived the vet took his temperature, it was sky high and there was blood on the thermometer - internal bleeding.  Then my big strong dog just fell to the side, almost fainting.  He had to be put on a drip, and he also needed a shot of something, or bloods (it was all a haze), it involved me restraining him while conscious in a particular pose with his head under my chin, while a needle went into his jugular vein.  Thankfully he survived.

I found a homeopathic vet - the famous Richard Allport - and as my vets knew of nothing else to treat him with as he seemed so allergic to it all, they referred me.  I also spoke to the late Lyn Delamar of CHC.  She told me never to vaccinate a GSD and never to give steroids as Shepherds have a faulty immune system, a piece missing.  Dexter was put on remedies and showed a good response immediately, he eventual recovered and returned to his pwerful fun loving self and his good, kind temperament returned.
Sadly Dexter developed CDRM (dreaded, incurable paralysis of the back end) aged just 7yrs old.  The first year that he did not get skin problems his back end started to go.  It was as if his immune system was shot to pieces and it was going to come out one way or another. We fought with Dexter using the homeopathy & Vivitonin, but we knew it was a battle we could not win.  We got him a special cart from America and managed to keep him going for 18mths in all with the illness.  Even though he weighed 52 KG I made a sling to get him around the garden.  He was the most special dog in the world and I couldn't bring myself to let him go.

Then on New Years Eve 2006, the time came for us to say goodbye, and my beautiful baby was gone forever.  But I hope that his story will reach others and explain to disbelievers why their dogs are so ill.

Maria Heskins & Willow
In loving memory of Dexter & Lily

Lisa's story

24/3/94 -21/3/03


Lisa was a golden retriever, typical of her breed, loving and lovely  but, sadly, she was vaccine damaged and was stolen away long before her time.

Lisa became hemiplegic in the September of 2001 following her annual vaccination and was immediately written off as a totally hopeless case by the conventional vet who had administered the vaccine to her.

After battling against the odds for two months, I found a wonderful homeopathic vet who got her mobile again using a combination of homeopathic remedies and acupuncture. Through a “chance” meeting in this vet’s waiting room, I met a very kind lady who also had a severely vaccine damaged dog, so she was well placed to understand my anguish. She introduced me to many other complimentary therapies and recommended an excellent hydrotherapy pool where the lady swam with and manipulated Lisa in the water to help her to rebuild her muscles.

Looking back, it was after her very first vaccination that Lisa developed severe eczema  and had appetite loss. She suffered an upset stomach and was really “off colour” even appearing somewhat brain-damaged but on expressing my worries to my vet, he just put it all down to coincidence. The second booster  lead to the same result but the vet, yet again, said it was pure coincidence. I shudder as I look back and realise that, with each successive vaccination, Lisa’a reactions became stronger and stronger.

When  Lisa was 4 years old, I read an article by Catherine O’Driscoll (of Canine Health Concern) which really did worry me, as everything she said simply underlined what Lisa had gone through. On the strength of this, I really badgered my vet (which was unusual for me,  as I’m not normally a pushy person at all) but, once again I was assured that vaccination was quite safe and, to be fair, my older dog always seemed fine, so I kept on putting Lisa through it, even though I remained really concerned. I feel consumed with guilt for allowing myself to be so browbeaten when, in my heart, I knew something was going wrong and getting worse each time.


Then came the jab which paralysed  my beautiful Lisa and the awful realisation of what we had done to her. Later on the same day that she had received the vaccination, Lisa was wobbly and the next day she was even more wobbly, until on the 3rd day she became paralysed. Now the vet had to finally acknowledge the problem was a direct result of the vaccination but he admitted also that he could do nothing to help her, so euthanasia was the only answer. It was a desperate, desperate time made worse by my terrible feelings of guilt.

Needless to say, Lisa would never have another vaccination and neither would her best friend, Emma who now has the homeopathic nosodes instead.     

One of the last photographs taken of Lisa with Pam above

Lisa had 15 good months but, sadly, relapsed at Christmas. Despite losing her mobility in her last 3 months, being a typical golden retriever, Lisa still remained loving  and happy until the end, when, to preserve her dignity, the final, awful decision had to be made.

If Lisa’s life is not to be in vain, I would urge owners and vets alike to please take note of what happened to her and to question anything which worries you,  rather than just blindly believing.

Lisa, owned and much loved by Pam Morris

Freddie’s Story  26/6/96 - 7/10/06

Freddie started life as a normal, healthy, handsome little puppy. He was given his puppy vaccinations and was fed on kibble.  Shortly after his vaccinations, he became very itchy and started nibbling at his flanks. The vet thought it might be fleas but could find none. He suggested changing foods (to another kibble) which worked for a couple of weeks and then back to square one. We did this a few times. He gave Freddie antibiotics, which did nothing except depress him.

(If only I had known about the connections with stress before Freddie had his vaccinations.   The vet should have realised that after putting my other dog to sleep, Freddie would be stressed, but for some reason vets don't always seem to make the connection)!

The vet suggested him wearing an Elizabethan collar to stop him nibbling, to give his flanks a chance to heal but Freddie could still reach and could still mutilate himself.  He hated the collar. In desperation, we followed the advice of the vet and put on a basket muzzle to stop the chewing. This must have driven him mad with frustration which resulted in him getting demodectic mange. His spark of life was all but extinguished and we were losing him.


Then, thankfully, we found John Hoare, a homeopathic vet and one of the kindest men I have ever met.  I slunk into his surgery with Freddie, half expecting him to call the RSPCA because of my neglect.  Instead, he reassured me that Freddie would  be OK but it would take time.  He suggested a change to raw feeding and gave us the first of a succession of homeopathic remedies that Freddie would need as we “peeled the onion” of healing.   


This photo was Freddie 2 weeks after the start of his homeopathic remedies & natural feeding.



These Photos showing Freddie further into his treatment

I found it very hard to take these photos but something made me and I am so glad I did as I had them as a constant reminder of how far we had come every time I felt low & frustrated at the slow progress. What was most important was I knew the spark was coming back as he wanted to play again, for the first time for months.

I fussed too much over Freddie and didn’t help his healing at all, and Freddie being a sensitive soul, picked up on my distress!  Things had to get worse before they got better, there was a lot of healing that had to be done.  Everything had to come out before real healing could begin. This included a malignant tumor, which had to be removed from Freddie’s mouth.

By this time John Hoare had retired from full time practice but had recommended Trevor Adams who continued to treat Freddie in the same gentle manner and still gave Freddie acupuncture treatments.

I have learnt so much because of my lovely Freddie.  Apart from finding out about the  benefits of a natural diet and the dangers of vaccination and conventional drugs, I have learnt about homeopathy and many other holistic therapies and I have even found out about the dangers of toxins in our own foods and homes.

Freddie now looking much better and enjoying life.


Freddie's health improved, but he still had some healing to do he still suffered with autoimmune hypothyroid problems, but at least he was alive and happy, bless him...........

Freddie, happy with his friends in 2004

Sadly, I lost Freddie last October (aged 10yrs and 4mths). He was lucky to make it to 2yrs so I count my blessings.

Having lost Barney in June, Freddie's thyroid completely went out of control, probably due to the stress of losing his very good friend and also because he was trying to take my grief on board too to save me (he was like that). Natural remedies failed to help any more and I had to accept that Freddie was ready to go.
Pauline (Radstock)

Xena’s story


After bringing Xena home at 7.5 weeks, we gave her a couple of days to settle in before taking her for her puppy vaccinations.


All seemed to go well after her first vaccination, and we were asked to return for the second jab 2 weeks later.  Everything seemed fine for the rest of the day, Xena was playing eating, drinking and sleeping normally. 


However, the next morning Xena seemed a little lethargic, but we thought this was a reaction and it would wear off later in the day. At that point she was still eating and drinking, but seemed a bit sleepy.  By the next morning, she had developed a swelling about the size of a £2 coin.


I called the vets and was advised it was nothing to worry about and that it would go down.  By the evening I was even more concerned as the lump was now the size of my hand and quite hard to the touch, my puppy didn't have a scruff as it was that swollen. I called the vets again and was again advised it was nothing, but if we were concerned then to bring her in.  Both of these times it was a receptionist I was talking too and not the vet.



By the time we arrived at the vets it had been about 6 hours since Xena had last ate or drank. The vet took one look at her and said that it needed investigating.  With my permission she used a syringe to drain the lump to see what she could draw off. To the vets horror it was pus. They immediately took her in to operate. I was in pieces!! She had to stay in for about 24 hours.                          

When I went back to collect Xena, they told me that they had over 1/2 pint of pus and it was still draining, (hence the drains on her back in the pic) but basically all the shaved area on her back was where the swelling was.


Photo (left) showing Xena with drain       


After they had finished her treatment I took her to a different vet to have her second jab. This turned out fine. After doing a bit of research I have found out that if you don't disperse a live vaccine under the skin properly i:e like giving it a good rub, this can cause abcesses. This is what had happened to my poor little puppy! But it goes to show you what can go wrong!!

Xena above feeling a little better with a juicy bone and right fully recovered with her brother!

I know this isn't as severe as some cases, but it was still very worrying and upsetting.

Em (Reading, Berkshire)


BARNEY’S STORY  9/5/90 – 29/10/96


Barney was a much longed for dog.  We ‘ordered’ him from the breeder just days after the mating and the wait for him to be born seemed endless.  We spent the time preparing for his arrival, making sure we had everything a young pup would need. Eventually the day to collect him finally arrived. From day one he was a real handful.  Into absolutely everything, never still until he fell asleep from pure exhaustion at the end of every day, we found it really hard to keep up, his energy levels were unbelievable!

Although we spent a lot of time socialising Barney, taking him to both ringcraft and training classes, he became fear aggressive after being ‘mugged’ by a loose dog.  We took him to lots of different behaviourists but there wasn’t a great deal of improvement.  We just got used to how he was, we avoided situations we knew he couldn’t cope with and never let him off the lead unless we were certain there were no other dogs or people around. 

Despite his problems, we loved Barney very much.  With close family he was affectionate, loving and a real clown. 




The vet’s surgery wasn’t top of Barney’s favourite places to visit but somehow we had managed to have him boostered every year.  But his fear escalated over time and, after a few fraught experiences we sought the vet’s advice as to the best way of giving him his jab without world war 3 breaking out.  The vet suggested sedation.  He told us to give Barney 3  acepromazine tablets about an hour before we took him to the surgery to make him drowsy. So this is what we did on the morning of Saturday 26th October 1996. 


By the time we reached the vets, Barney was quite sleepy and not really aware of very much so giving the jab was relatively easy and we came home feeling very relieved. 


Barney stayed very drowsy all the next day.  He wasn’t interested in anything, getting him to go out into the back garden to relieve himself every couple of hours was about all he could manage.  The next morning, Monday, he was much the same. 


I rang the vet for advice and was told to give it another day.  I rang a couple of friends and one of them thought that three sedative tablets was far too many - it was suggested that half a tablet would have been enough.  Alarm bells started ringing.  The next day, Tuesday 29th October, Barney sank into a deeper sleep.  I noticed the whites of his eyes, the insides of his ears and his gums had all turned yellow.  We put him in the car and drove straight to the vets.  The diagnosis was hepatitis -  obviously caught from the vaccine.  The vet took some blood and prescribed a high dose of antibiotics and we brought poor, sleepy Barney back home. We had only been in the house half an hour when the vet rang to say that the blood tests showed that Barney’s kidneys were failing and he needed urgent treatment.  We whisked him back to the vets and he was put on a drip.  After a few hours the vet said we could take him home and bring him back again the next day.  By this time Barney had been deeply unconscious for several hours.  When we got home we carried him gently into the lounge and laid him on a his favourite blanket.  Within minutes his breathing became very laboured and it was clear that he wasn’t going to make it.  We feared that he might be suffering so I picked up the phone to ask the vet to come and put him to sleep.  Before I could dial the number Barney took his last breath and slipped away. 

We were totally heartbroken.  Whilst we were glad that he wasn’t suffering anymore we just couldn’t believe that he had been taken from us in such a traumatic way. 

We had Barney buried at the pet cemetery next to our first dog who died of old age in 1990.  It took a while for things to sink in but I needed to know more and to find out if Barney’s death could have been prevented.  Eventually I came to the conclusion that the sedative dosage had been far too high and this had suppressed the immune system to such a degree that he couldn’t mount a response to the live vaccine.  I put this to our vet who, although extremely sorry, maintained that the sedative dosage had been correct and there was nothing to suggest that sedatives should not be given prior to boosters.  At the time I was too weary and grief stricken to argue.


Once we started telling people of our loss we were overwhelmed by the response.  We received many cards and phone calls from friends, family and colleagues all expressing their genuine sadness.  It helped us a lot to know that, despite his nervousness with people and other dogs, he had made a real impression on everyone he’d met during his six short years.  We felt privileged to have been owned and loved by such a special boy.


Fred and Joyce (N. Wales)



A Modbury Puppy – Modbury Tullibardine

Murphy, an energetic 8 week old Golden Retriever puppy was taken for his first vaccine, two weeks later at 10 weeks Murphy is taken for his second vaccine.

Two days after the second vaccine Murphy developed a lump the size of an egg on his neck at the site of vaccination – Murphy was also very itchy in this area. 

He was taken to the vet and the vet diagnosed an allergic reaction to his vaccination, but the vet said it was nothing to worry about!

It took nearly a week for the lump to disperse, once the lump had dispersed however, the itching also stopped and Murphy is now thankfully  fully recovered.

Reddy & his littermates story
11th April 2001 -  9 healthy pups born

On 5th June the puppies were 8 weeks old and had their first vaccine which was MLV for Lepto. Parvo, Hepatitis & Distemper.

By the morning of  6th June Reddy, one of the males  is limping on his right leg, so I keep a watchful eye on him.  The following day he had a pea-sized lump on his right side & several more by that afternoon. I spoke to the vet and he said it was probably an allergy.

The next day Reddy had quite a few lumps so I spoke to the vet again who suggested I keep an eye on him. By the afternoon the lumps start bursting so we took Reddy to the vets clinic.   My vet diagnosis was septicaemia. I told him Reddy was having a reaction to the vaccine but he disagreed. He did say he had never seen anything like it before. Two different antibiotics were prescribed.

By 10th June, poor Reddy’s ears were full of puss and more lumps had come out.    The vet prescribed drops for his ears and another antibiotic, he also took a culture. Reddy was now on 3 different antibiotics.   The results of the culture came back negative and my poor puppy was now covered with open weeping sores.

The next day I take Reddy back to the clinic and the vet did 2 biopsies and more cultures. One biopsy went to the local hospital and the other to U.K.
Over the next few days Reddy became worse and stopped eating. I couldn’t bear to watch him suffer and wanted to let him go but my vet persuaded me to wait for the results of the biopsy. I couldn’t even pick him up to comfort him, as the sores were everywhere and obviously very painful.

• The culture results show sterile puss & no bacteria.
• Results of biopsy show Reddy has IDIOPATHIC NODULAR PANNICULITIS

My vet started treating Reddy with high dose of cortisone, vitamin E and one type of antibiotic. The vet then told me he believed it was caused by the vaccine.

Reddy responded very quickly to the drugs and came along in leaps and bounds. It was wonderful to watch him getting better. He lived in the kitchen and was just starting to go outside in the patio, as he liked to be clean when another disaster struck.

On 3rd July, the pups were due their 12 week vaccine.  Three pups had gone to their new homes and I still had 6 of the pups and Reddy with me; Reddy’s new family were waiting for him to get better.

I had noticed a funny coloured faeces in the pups kennel, it was watery but solid at the same time.  I had never seen anything like it before, so I just thought I would keep an eye on them and wasn’t worried  -  I should have been!

4th July, GP, another of the male pups had diarrhea, after no food I put him on chicken and rice; he seemed absolutely fine in himself, running around as normal.

5th July, Gillianne, one of the girls had the same symptoms as GP. By late evening they had each only had one bout of diarrhoea but they all looked and behaved normally.  Except one male, who was just a bit quiet. His name is Gaddy.

6th July, early in the morning Gaddy was slumped over the water bowl and very poorly, there was lots of vomit in the kennels, I checked all the other pups, and took Gaddy to the vet.   He was put on a drip and given intravenous drugs.  After a couple of hours we come home with instructions to return at 7 p.m.

Late that afternoon GP, began to vomit and he was taken to the vet with Gaddy where they were both put on drips and received treatment which is the same for Gastro Enteritis, Parvo, etc. The vet said they had gastro enteritis at this time.

7th July -back to the vets. no diarrhoea or temperature in either of them and the vomiting had eased off.  Treatment as previous day, and took both back at 7p.m.. At the clinic they were both lively but the vet still treated them as the day before and tells me to bring them back at 9a.m. tomorrow. Pups do well during the night and look fine. Vomiting appeared to have stopped and gave them very small portion of Hills.
8th July  One of the girls began to vomit and GP is quiet. All 3 to the vet. The girl is called Gwen’s Girl. All 3 have same treatment.  The vet sends us home and tells me he will call in later. By early evening when the vet calls Gaddy was O.K., GP  and Gwen were quiet, so he treated them as before.

In the middle of the night Gaddy had bloody diarrhoea.
9th July  Early morning and the vet has all 3 on drips in my spare room.  They have Parvo. This was confirmed later in the week by faeces analyses.
Reddy ate his breakfast but very little else all day. He did eat his titbits.

10th July,  Reddy the same as yesterday. By late afternoon his faeces were soft.  The Vet started him on treatment. The longest night. GP has explosive bloody diarrhoea and bloody vomit. Gaddy & Gwen are not as bad. Reddy starts to vomit and has diarrhoea.

11th July, Early morning the vet had all 4 on drips. By the afternoon Reddy is very poorly. Vet gives him morphine for the pain. I knew I had a decision to make but Reddy made it for me. He died at 7.25p.m. It was a horrible & violent way for him to die after all he had been through.  I was heartbroken, but I still had 3 poorly pups to look after.

12th July,  Gaddy & Gwen are slowly recovering but GP dying. His temperature is 42.C. and the vet can’t stop the vomiting & diarrhoea. He had been on a drip since Sunday night.  Gillianne and Gwyneth, are moved into isolation, as they have not gone down with it.

13th July,  No change in GP,  Gaddy was great.  Gwen is getting there. Late evening & GP’s temperature goes down a degree.

14th July,  GP turned the corner and started to recover but it took another couple of weeks before the vomiting and diarrhoea stop and he can start to eat normally.

20th July Gillianne and Gwyneth, the 2 girls who didn’t appear to have Parvo have their 2nd vaccines and are fine. I had titres done for both of them first.

22nd July Gaddy and Gwen are both fine in themselves but Gwen is still on drugs for diarrhoea and vomiting. Not bloody.

25th July Gilly and Gwyneth come out of isolation & Gilly leaves to go to her new family. Gwyneth joins the other two in the puppy kennel.

Mid morning & Gwen’s sides looked puffy. She was fine & ate her lunch and was her normal self. Mid afternoon and her sides were definitely swollen. Off to the vets again.  He tries to pump her stomach & some food came out. By 9.p.m. they had to operate. 11.30.p.m. the vet told me her spleen had twisted
and it was a good job I had decided not to wait till the morning as she would have died by then.  It was dilatation. He still didn’t know if she would survive the night, as she was very weak. So many long nights and he brought her home at 2.30.a.m. She did make it.

3rd August,   Gaddy had his 2nd vaccine

4th August at 11.30 am Gaddy started to vomit and it continued into the afternoon and then he started with diarrhoea.  Vet came back and treated him and Gaddy is back in the bedroom. He tells me it’s a reaction to the vaccine.

6th August Gaddy is back to normal and goes outside.

7th August,  After such a long time and so many longer nights GP went outside to join his littermates and they were running around being normal happy pups.

I wouldn’t say perfectly healthy as they were still having minor ups & downs but they were certainly on the way to making a full recovery.

GP now recovered and enjoying life!

When Reddys biopsy results came back, the vet said in his opinion the Panniculitis was caused by the vaccine and he spoke to the drug manufacturer and told them what had happened. He also cancelled his contract with them & went back to his old supplier. The makers of the vaccine went to see him 2 weeks later and took all the details. They told him they would be in touch with me. They did not get in touch with me.

Our vet is of the opinion that the vaccine was either bad or it failed to protect my pups, and a second opinion from a different vet agreed.  The makers of the vaccine accepted none of our opinions!  They have told me that Reddy’s Panniculitis was the only one in Europe. They said a lot of things which all boiled down to them not accepting any responsibility what so ever.

Christine Vaughan (Spain)





We bought little Richy, a male miniature pinscher, from a very reputable breeder when he was 9 weeks old. He was a loving, energetic pup full of mischief. He settled really well into our home and was a fast learner.

Right after we took Richy home, we took him to the vet for a check up and his first vaccination. Two weeks later he had his second shots and a week later we took him out to the park for the first time. He loved meeting other dogs, chasing birdies, playing fetch!!

When Richy was about 6 months old, we decided that we would never feel comfortable if we had to leave Richy in a kennel, so we decided to get him a pet passport so that he could travel with us.

We got Richy micro chipped and we also booked him in for a rabies vaccination. 

The day of the rabies vaccination he was his usual self, lively and playful, full of energy.  I asked the vet if there would be any side-effects from the vaccine, and the vet replied none at all.  After he had his vaccination we took Richy home and gave him his evening meal which he ate.

The very next morning Richy stayed in bed later than usual and seemed very tired. During the course of the day he was becoming sleepier and wanted to rest more. The next day he refused to eat his meal. We got concerned and took him to the vet who examined him and said it is possible that he’s lost his appetite because he was teething. The vet advised us pups can sometimes go funny when they’re teething, completely going off food, having less energy etc. We took Richy home and hoped he would be better in a day or so.  But his condition worsened; he was not eating at all, he would not get out of his bed, he didn’t want to play and he started collapsing.

A couple of times during these collapsing episodes he’d wet himself and we noticed his urine was a very dark yellow colour and somewhat thicker than normal urine.

We took Richy back to the vet and they kept him all day running tests on him. The vet later told us that Richy was very dangerously anaemic; his PVC was 14 and asked us to take Richy to the Royal Vetinary College in Potters Bar straight away as an emergency and that he might need to have a blood transfusion. At this time Richy had no energy in him whatsoever, his weight had plummeted and he was very weak.

We took Richy to the RVC and they kept him there for 2 weeks, running one test after another after another. After two weeks of testing they diagnosed Richy with Auto Immune Haemolytic Anaemia, meaning his own immune system was killing him.
Richy's physician at the RVC explained to us that his immune system wasn’t recognising the red blood cells in his blood as its own and was attacking and destroying them ‘thinking’ they were anti bodies.

We asked Richy’s physician if the trigger for this could have been the rabies jab and he said very possibly and that it was very coincidental that it started to happed within 24-48 hours after the vaccination but there was no way of finding our for sure what would have caused his immune system to turn against himself. 

As soon as they diagnosed Richy, they put him on a therapy of Prednisolone and Immuran drugs. Within a week Richy’s condition was stabilising and he was released home. Also his blood count was improving.

He was having bi-weekly blood tests and check ups and in total he was on the drugs for 7 months. The cost in veterinary fees came to approximately £5000 but luckily we had him insured.

Richy is now off the tablets and he’s a happy, playful and lively dog.
We’ve been told that the first year after the treatment is crucial and the chances are high that he might relapse. But we’re keeping our fingers crossed.

He can never have a rabies vaccination ever again and it is also a high risk to give him his yearly booster vaccinations so we decided not to vaccinate Richy again.

Mimi & Graham Rogers

Updated January 2007 - Sadly and tragically, Richy is no longer with us, he was hit by a car on 22 December 2006.     His owners Mimi and Graham and his very best friend Tiny miss him terribly.  Run free Richy you were a very brave boy xxx


Another Sad Story

We had a toy poodle who had dermatitis all her life, and was allergic to a housedust mite. As a result she was always on a low dose steroid (due to her being small) and had frequent courses of antibiotics.

Almost two years ago, our miniature poodle died, and last July, feeling more protective towards the remaining little one, mentioned to the vet that she hadn't had a booster for a couple of years. The vet immediately gave her one. At that point, she'd got over losing her best pal the previous year, and was quite fit & happy.
We noticed by late summer that she'd stopped jumping onto chairs and by the end of the year was much quieter and less likely to run upstairs. Also her skin had become worse. One unusually fine February day, we took her for a walk and she kept stopping - we encouraged her to keep going, and after a while she stopped completely. I noticed her ribs heaving and picked her up and she collapsed onto my shoulder.

We took her to the vet late that night as her breathing got very rapid. Blood tests and x-ray showed an enlarged heart and a red cell count of only 15.
The only thing we could think of as being the cause of problems was that she'd been spayed 2 months after her booster, but the vet said it wouldn't cause such problems.
Despite much and varied medications, and a very brave fight, she died in our bedroom very early one morning in March after a really bad night.

Some weeks later, when looking for info on standard poodles, I stumbled on some information that led to me reading, amongst other things, sections of vet manuals etc and found the following reasons for not administering vaccinations:

if the dog is genetically defective
if there is something wrong with the dog's diet
if the dog was unhealthy when vaccinated
if the dog is stressed at time of injection
if the dog's immune system is incompetent
if the dog is exposed to a virus shortly after vaccination
if the dog is taking immune suppressant drugs such as steroids
if the vet stores and handles the vaccine inappropriately
if the dog is incubating disease at the time of vaccination
I also saw mentioned in the same context, skin diseases and use of antibiotics.

To me, this was devastating as I had not known any of this nor the controversy over vaccinations and boosters. Our dog was never 100% healthy due to the skin disease and associated bacterial infections, and due to the medication she was taking continuously, her immune system would definitely have been suppressed/compromised.

We aren't on a witch hunt over this - our little dog died, and we need to get over that and move on, as it's been extremely painful for us, especially since we realised that in trying to prevent her catching diseases, the booster quite probably caused her to die. She was only just 7 years old.

Our new puppy had the first of two vaccinations two weeks ago, and once the second has been given next week, she will not be given any boosters unless there is a particular reason to do so. We have made up our minds on that.

Obviously, this is just our experience, and subsequently, our decision regarding boosters in the future.

Maxy’s story

Maxy is a 4 year old female Springer Spaniel that I got at the age of 4 months.

She was vaccinated every year as per usual.  Her last shots were July, (2005).

By October she had gained 15 lbs which sent me in a tizzy. I had already begun feeding her raw but the crazy Maxy as we knew her was now lethargic, uninterested and not able to go on her usual long walks without being tired.  She put on a total of 25lbs.

Maxy had blood tests and she was diagnosed with a thyroid problem. 

At the moment she is taking thyroid tablets which I feel reluctant to give to her, but she has responded to these and Maxy’s weight has also stabilised over the last few months; slowly she will get to where she needs to be.

I have since been able to seek out a homeopathic vet but we haven't as of yet been able to find her the correct herbs to help her out.

I thank the CHC group for enlightening me about vaccine damage which made me stop them before things got worse. My 2 dogs and my 2 cats will never see another vaccine for the rest of their lives.

If I knew then what I know now Maxy wouldn't have this problem but unlike others whose pets have suffered much more I am thankful that I became wiser about vaccines sooner rather than later.

Victoria Minich

Chocky's & Kizzy's stories

I had the two most gorgeous loving dogs on the planet.  Kizzy and Chocky, two Cavalier King Charles Spaniels.   I was devastated when they both contracted the auto immune disease, Eosinophilic Granuloma shortly after their boosters.                                    

Chocky aged just 4 years succumbed first, only 4 weeks after his booster.  After numerous choking fits causing him to collapse in a very distressed state, the vet put him under anaesthetic and found painful ulcers growing on his tonsils.  He had his tonsils removed which was risky in itself;  a few weeks later he deteriorated again,  and it was found the ulcers were spreading further down his throat towards the stomach.  He had lost all his energy, didn't want to go for walks and had problems even eating soaked food.  Steroids were tried but he reacted against them and a few other treatments, sadly he became so poorly that we had to let him go 9 months later.

My other Cavalier Kizzy was fine until about a year later.  And again like Chocky she started choking and collapsing. about 4 weeks after her booster.  We battled for a year to try and save her trying out new treatments costing in the region of £100 per month with other medication on top of that.  However, in the end she too could not eat and was choking and was unable to eat even soft runny food.  The same symptoms as Chocky - watery eyes, loss of energy, didn't want to go out for a walk  and difficulty in swallowing food.

I started to research the disease as it’s not  well documented in dogs and is apparently extremely rare in them,  although this could be that vets don’t often diagnose it!  It wasn't until Kizzy showed the same symptoms that it was properly diagnosed.

My research led me to realise the vaccines were the most likely cause of the disease in both my dogs.   My vet said he could not deny he felt it was the vaccinations, although he couldn't be 100% certain.

I researched more and found out about titre tests, a simple blood test taken to test for antibodies.  If there is a high level of antibodies then the dog doesn’t need a booster.

Since then I have spoken about titre tests to 4 vets and all said they titre before vaccinating their dogs.  Now what does that say?

Kizzy & Chocky were the only two dogs that I have vaccinated every year without fail in my 30+ years of owning, breeding and showing dogs.

My next dog Milo, a Jack Russel Terrier, has had his puppy vaccinations and  was titre tested when his booster was due.  His levels came back at over 4,000 amazingly high.  If I had put a booster into him it would have been totally unnecessary, and he could have experienced the same fate as Kizzy and Chocky!  My other dog a Rottie x GSD now 15 months old has had her puppy vaccines and when her booster was due she too had a titre test and her levels were also high.

They were the saddest 2 days of my life losing my special Kizzy and Chocky.  I still cry for them now 2 years later.  I vowed to try and make other owners aware of the harm vaccinations can cause to their beloved friends, and if we can just save one dog from this terrible illness and death then their deaths were not in vain.

Bev (Essex) 





Scamp’s story


Scamp was a healthy 7 1/4 year old Cavalier, he was a fit & very active dog doing obedience & conformation showing. He belonged to my father, who was at the time a member of the old school of thought re vaccinations, i.e. every year on the dot as directed by their vet.


He had the previous week passed his yearly examination for his Cavalier Club heart certificate carried out by a cardiologist.

He was taken by my father to the vets for his annual booster, which included the Leptospirosis vaccine. Before my father had managed to pay for the vaccination Scamp became very distressed & collapsed. He was rushed back into the examination room & then into the hospital part of the building where he subsequently lapsed into a coma & died.


My father obviously was greatly distressed & agreed to the vets arranging a cremation for Scamp. When he told me I immediately contacted the surgery to ask for a post mortem to be carried out but they were very reluctant to do so. I then contacted a close friend , who is a forensic pathologist & has done PM’s on both human & non human bodies & she agreed to carried out the PM at the vets the next day.


The PM in layman’s terms, showed that the vaccine had caused Scamp’s immune system to go into overdrive & that this reaction had caused his death.


She sent her findings to the vaccine company, who thanked her for the information, but as she was not a qualified veterinary surgeon she was not qualified to carried out the PM & her findings could not be considered as valid. This puzzled her as in the past the vaccine company had employed her to carry out PMs on animals for the vaccine company & she has taken the matter up with the company directly(Subsequently they have requested & been rejected by her for investigations to be carried out on animal bodies)


It was her considered opinion that had Scamp not been revaccinated he would not have died & that the vaccination caused his death


Personally I have had my dogs(& cats when I had them)titre tested since 1981 when my then veterinary surgeon suggested it instead of vaccination boosters. He had become increasing concerned over the number of reactions after vaccination boosters & so had taken to offering titre testing before boosters. I have done this for all my dogs for the past 25 years & retest annually unless there is an outbreak of a disease locally when they are titre tested immediately. My youngest dog was titre tested at 13 weeks old when I got him & this showed that he needed distemper vaccine only & 6 months later his titre levels showed he had compete immunity.


I do not allow my dogs to be Lepto vaccinated as the vaccine available does not give full cover for all strains of Lepto & any immunity offered is only for 8 months at the most & Lepto is known to cause the worse reactions.


I bred a lovely Bearded Collie back in the late 1970’s she was vaccine damaged by her puppy vaccinations & her owner has also titre tested since then.


Vaccine damage & reaction is not new, but at least now more people are aware of the danger in blanket revaccination


Dyane Jones

Patch the cat

Patch is the softest, friendliest cat I know and she and her sister Tiger get on extremely well...........that is until she had her booster.

Patch was fine with the vaccines she had as a kitten.  A day after her first booster she totally changed character, turning on Tiger - this only lasted for a day.

A year later after her second booster, again she totally changed personality.  She went 'loopy' attacking Tiger and even hissing at me and my husband!  It was as if she couldn't relax.  I have to say we were both scared of her, and had to keep her in a seperate room for a week.


I'm pleased to say she did get back to normal eventually.

Patch is no longer taken for her boosters, I'm concerned that the same or even something worse could happen!

I did ask the vet about this and he said it wouldn't be an allergic reaction.  However, I would disagree - it was just too much of a coincidence.

Rebecca Fenton


Spangler sadly died in March 2006, since then we have heard from other pet owners whose dogs and cats have suffered in some way after vaccination. They have very kindly given us permission to print their stories. Read their stories here

If your pet has suffered through vaccination please contact us: